Friday, April 9, 2010

A Manhattan Moment

1972
I am standing on the sidewalk between West 87th street and 88th street
I am on the corner talking to a man in a wheel chair.
I know this man
He is wearing a bright blue shirt,
silk, obviously expensive
surrounded by people all seeming to want to be with him,
to be
The One

He is holding court
I suddenly become the center of his attention
I am standing with my baby in his carriage next to me
engaged in conversation about nothing
but there is something happening between us
a strong bestial pull
an hypnotic moment fraught with danger

I see this man often
on subway cars
being pushed through one car after another
he is dirty then, pathetic
deliberately so

I feel movement by my side,
my hand suddenly empty.
I turn to look at my baby
He is gone
Gone!

I look down the street
He is being pushed away from me
I scream
I am screaming without knowing anything but fear
terror "My baby
that's my baby" I scream running after the man,
the carriage
"My baby"

People are moving to the side as I run
I grab hold of the carriage handle
the man is gone
the world is quiet except for my beating heart

I keep walking with my baby,
I turn the corner on West 87th street
It's okay I keep telling myself,
It's okay
nothing happened
It's okay

We cross West End Ave. at 87th street
and stop in front of 565
I pause for a moment
long enough for the doorman to open the door

We are in the lobby
my baby and me
we are safe........

for the moment

Linda Zises
WBAI RAdio

No comments: