Friday, April 9, 2010

Skyline Books: OBIT


The End of the Road

It isn't easy being a book fanatic, needing to browse the shelves when all else is not well in your life. New York City used to be a haven for used book lovers/seekers and I am counted among the "possessed". I admit it. I am addicted to books

So as is my custom, being at work and feeling the uncomfortable effects of a stomach ache, something that I just want to forget about so I can go on with my life unimpeded by physical discomfort, I walked over to my local used book store that has served my personal purpose for years upon years and then some.

Being distracted by nature and by circumstances today, I went down 19th street to find the store. it wasn't there. I searched up and down the street with fear looming as I failed to find My store. But all was not lost. With great gusto I remembered the store was in fact not to be found on 19th street but on 18th street and headed over to my place of potential recovery with light steps, ignoring the looming trepidation that now contributed to my already compromised stomach.

And sure enough, I was right. There was the store, with its distinctive awning, "Skyline Books".
When I got right in front of it my worst fears were confirmed,
Closed. Out of Business. "Skyline Books" Gone.


This obituary is written for the Store, for all of my fellow city travelers who frequent used books stores and for an entire population of people yet to be born who will never know the medicinal value of browsing because one by one used book stores are disappearing, even from the Mecca of cultural education, New York City streets.

A moment of silence, please.


Linda Zises
Alex Steinberg
WBAI Radio

No comments: